How to go to Bangladesh by road?
When applying for Bangladeshi VISA, specify that you want to travel by road. One can reach Bangladesh by road from Kolkata either via Benapole or Basirhat crossing. If Dhaka is your destination, there are direct buses from Kolkata and Agartala.
I had to go to Khulna. Khulna has no direct buses from Kolkata and here is how I came to Khulna by road today.
- 10:25 am – Left my hotel in Salt Lake City, Kolkata. Cost Rs.250
- 10:45 am – Reached Sealdah Station
- 11:05 – Bought my ticket to Basirhat (12:12 Hasnabad train). Cost Rs.15
- 11:35 – Train arrived on platform 6
- 12:15 – Train departed Sealdah
- 2:20 – Train reached Basirhat (about 70km from Sealdah)
- 2:30 – Took a rickshaw from the train station to Bodh ghat (it sounded something like that). About 2km. Rs.7
- 2:50 – Auto-rickshaw to Bhomra- Gojadanga border. Rs.15 per person or Rs.100 if you want the auto for yourself. 9 km
- 3:15 – Reached border
- 3:25 – Done with Emigration
- 3:35 – Done with Land Customs
- 3:40 (4:10 Bangldesh Local time) – Crossed the border
- 4:20 – Done with Bangladesh Immigration
- 4:30 – Done with Bangladesh Customs
- 4:40 – Boarded Baby taxi to Satkhira. Tk.25, 15km
- 5:20 – Reached Satkhira
- 5:25 – Rickshaw to bus station (Tk.5)
- 5:35 – Boarded bus to Khulna. 60km, Tk90
- 8:20 – Reached Khulna
I did not pay anyone to cross the border. People will approach you to help you with filling of forms and then ask you for money. Avoid them all. It is better to carry a declaration of all the electronic items you are carrying and get it certified by the customs officer.
My entry and exit points are different. I am leaving Bangladesh via Akhaura crossing to Agartala.