My Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS running watch started acting weird. It stopped communicating with Garmin ANT agent and Garmin express could not upload any of the saved activities. At times, it could not acquire satellites. Hard and soft resets did not work. Only master reset fixed the problem. Here is a list of different resets (copied and pasted from Garmin support site) for Garmin Forerunner 310 XT.
There are a few instances in which a master reset (or unprompted reset) can be performed on the Forerunner 310XT. All data on the fitness watch will be erased.
To perform the master reset:
- Power Forerunner off
- Press and hold Enter and Mode buttons
- Press and release Power button
- Press and release Lap/Reset (watch will power off)
- Wait 3 seconds
- Release Enter and Mode
The reset on the Forerunner 310XT is only successful if the device finishes powering up, and goes to the setup wizard. Repeat the steps again if the setup wizard does not appear.
Leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data once the reset and setup wizard are complete.
The Forerunner or Edge from time to time may not power on or take a charge. A soft reset can be performed to unfreeze it. No user information will be lost by doing this reset. The reset is most effective when the device is connected to the computer.
The soft reset instructions listed below pertain to the following fitness devices:
- Forerunner 205, 305, and 310XT
- Edge 205, 305, 605, and 705
To reset Forerunner or Edge:
- Connect device to computer (except 310XT)
- Press and hold MODE and LAP/RESET for 10 seconds
- Release both buttons
- Power device on
- Update device firmware using WebUpdater (except 310XT) or Garmin Express.
Your device will now turn on and charge properly. *
*If your device will not power on or take a charge following the soft reset, the charging contacts on the back of the watch and/or charging accessory will need to be cleaned as one of them may have become oxidized.
- Disconnect charging accessory
- Thoroughly clean the contacts on the watch and charging accessory. The following non-abrasive cleaning agents are safe and effective options for cleaning the contacts:
- Rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl)
- Eye glass cleaner
- Electronic screen wipes
- Pencil eraser
Once all contacts have been cleaned, soft reset the device again using the instructions above.
There are a few instances in which a reset (or prompted reset) can be performed on the Forerunner 910XT and 310XT such as:
- Not functioning properly
- Needing to be restored to factory default settings
- Not receiving a satellite signal*
- To bring up language selection prompt if incorrect language text is showing
- Unable to pair up accessories, such as the heart rate monitor or foot pod
All settings, workouts, courses will be erased when resetting the device. Activities can be backed up with Garmin Connect.
To perform the reset:
- Start with device powered off†
- Press and hold Mode and Power
- Release buttons once Do You Really Want to Erase All User Data? message appears
- Select Yes
The Forerunner will now be reset. Leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 15 minutes to acquire satellite data.
*If the device is not receiving a satellite signal, perform an AutoLocate before performing a master reset.
†If the device will not power off, try a soft reset.
Auto locate instructions:
Ocassionally the Forerunner and Edge may have trouble acquiring satellites. This may be due to corrupted satellite information. Performing an AutoLocate will clear previous GPS data and the device reacquire the satellite information.
You may need to perform an AutoLocate in the following circumstances:
- The device has not been used in over two weeks
- The device is powered on in a location that is 150 or more miles from where it is normally used
- The distance or speed data appear to be inaccurate
The AutoLocate instructions listed below pertain to the following fitness devices:
- Forerunner 101, 201, 205, 301 and 305
- Forerunner 310XT and 910XT
- Edge 205 and 305
To perform an AutoLocate:
- Ensure device is powered off
- Press and hold Down Arrow
- Press and release POWER
- Wait 30 seconds
- Release Down
After the AutoLocate is performed on the device, allow 15 to 20 minutes to acquire satellites with a clear view of the sky. The fitness device should now function properly.
Source: Garmin support site