I inherited a Eurocom Monster (W110ER) laptop from one of my friends. The reason for that bequest was that the laptop was switching off (not shutting down) abruptly. II happily got the laptop to my home and started understanding why it was switching off abruptly. I tried the following:
- I installed multiple operating systems – Windows 8 and Linux Mint – no change
- I replaced the RAM – no change
- I changed the hard drive – no change
- I took out the heatsink and re-pasted again – no improvement
- I change the battery – no change
- I change the charger – no change
I contacted Eurocom and the technician suspected that it could be an issue with the motherboard or CPU. I sent the laptop to Eurocom for troubleshooting. The technician reported that the issue was with the motherboard. As I did not have the warranty,I ended up paying $ 195 for the motherboard, $ 125 for labour and $ 45 for USPS shipping.
If your laptop is switching of abruptly, the primary reason could be heatsink. install a software monitor and see how the temperature changes and when and at what temperature the system switches off. Laptops usually reach a temperature of 70°C to 90°C. If the heat is building a beyond that, the heatsink system needs fixing. In that case,
- check the dust inside the heatsink fan
- check for dust obstructing the heatsink vent
- thermal paste of CPU and GPU might have dried up
if the above things don’t fix the problem, temperature sensors on the motherboard might be faulty. this could be an issue with the motherboard. Under some conditions CPU may also be malfunctioning. Don’t worry about the hard drive or RAM.